Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Alla Prima oil painting

On May 15 I held an all day workshop in alla prima oil painting. Alla prima is a style of painting where, instead of building colors up with layers or glazing over an underpainting, the painting is completed while the paint is still wet—wet on wet. Strictly defined, an alla prima painting would be started and finished in one painting session, but the term is also more loosely applied to any painting done in a direct, expressive style, with minimal preparation. This is the method I use in my daily paintings on masonite panels, so I had loads of these little panels on hand for people to try.


We had six participants, about half had never painted in oil before. We had a great time and all went home happy with successful paintings.  I'm posting two here by Terri Sanzenbacher. They are so alive with color and energy and I thank Terri for sharing them for this post. They are both 6" X 6".

The next workshop is Saturday, June 19. Email me for details:
lrpackard at yahoo dot com.

1 comment:

  1. Great Workshop! You inspired me to get the oil paints out again. I love the immediacy of this method. I highly recommend this workshop.

    ReplyDelete