Saturday, April 16, 2011

When a Painting Connects

A Monet Day, 24" x 24", oil on panel
It's such a joyful experience when a painting connects with someone. Such was my experience at a recent artwalk in downtown Bangor which resulted in the purchase of this painting:  A Monet Day.  The buyer is a friend of a friend who has recently moved to Maine. While I had met her before, this visit to my art walk exhibit was the first time she had seen my work. She asked for the full tour, painting by painting. She is an art collector and especially loves to own works by artists she knows. When we arrived at this painting, she really responded to it: the colors, the fluidity of the marks and glazed areas. I told her that last summer I had spent a few days painting at the Lily Pond in Stonington, Maine. I had done several paintings on site, one from which this larger one was conceived. She knew the place. While new to living in Maine, she's had a brother here for years, and on her very first visit years ago, he took her to the Stonington Lily Pond, his absolute favorite place. She had been looking for a very special birthday gift for him, and this, she decided, was it!  I took it back the my studio to frame and now it is in her home, waiting to be delivered to him.

I learned how important it is to talk about a work. Prospective buyers like to hear the story of the work, the place, the process. You just never know how the story will resonate and make a connection.

4 comments:

  1. So true....sometimes the painting appeals simply because it triggers all the other senses back to a wonderful memory. We feel that way when we paint...thanks for the reminder to share and share and share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky brother...That is a wonderful painting.
    Good point on telling the story of your painting I think people really connect when they know your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, I am usually shy when it comes to talking about my work. Blogging has helped me get to think about it more, and this experience really brought it home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sue. It wasn't even quite finished but Priscilla and Gail encouraged me to bring it to the show. Sure glad I did!

    ReplyDelete